6/05/2011

Trust 30: Entry Six

Life wastes itself while we are preparing to live. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you had one week left to live, would you still be doing what you’re doing now? In what areas of your life are you preparing to live? Take them off your To Do list and add them to a To Stop list. Resolve to only do what makes you come alive.

Bonus: How can your goals improve the present and not keep you in a perpetual “always something better” spiral?
(Author: Jonathan Mead)

Responsibility. It is something that can create an annoying drag on dreams and goals. It is very easy to discuss and plan all the things I want to do and deserve to do and ruminate on what I was intended to do. But sometimes, paying bills and feeding kids and mowing the lawn gets in the way. And sometimes, lack of talent can crimp those plans as well. But there is something that I can do regardless of my responsibilities or aptitude and that is to love people. All it takes is effort and a certain degree of want-to and to follow through is to achieve the highest level of existence.


So If I had one week left to live, I’d quit work and shirk some of the responsibilities that tie me up but my main focus would be to shore up relationships and try to love as many people as I could. To spend all the time I had left investing in other people one last time. Frankly, that is something I can do now—whether I am over-, under- or unemployed, striving or cruising, rich or poor or trying to decide. I can’t think of a better way to improve my present (or anyone else's). Fortunately, there are a lot of people out there to love so it is a noble to-do list that I can, and will, tend to from now until then.

#Trust30 is an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Find out more at http://ralphwaldoemerson.me

No comments: