6/02/2011

Trust 30: Entry Three

It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude. - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance

The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What’s one strong belief you possess that isn’t shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?
(Author: Buster Benson)

I am surrounded by people that share my strongest beliefs and I cannot think of one single thing I passionately believe that does not also line up with the passionate beliefs of my inner circle of relationships. I am referring to essential, core beliefs—of which there are less than a handfulignoring nonessential, surface dogma of which there are many. And I am okay with that. Frankly, why would a person want anything less? There are enough negative people out there to mash your passions; I need to come home to the true believers. 

When referring to strong beliefs, what are we talking about? Belief in self? Belief in a Higher Being? Belief in a governmental philosophy? Belief that I can accomplish more than I have been given the opportunity to accomplish? Belief that I am smarter than you think I am? Belief that I can fly? Belief that those blinking lights at night aren’t really stars but satellites that are monitoring my every move? If I can’t share what I am passionate about for fear of mocking or squelching, then I need to trade in my friends and family for a better set. I need to surround myself with folks that can laugh at crazy ideas and get enthusiastic about great ones. That can slow me down when caution is called for and can kick my butt when I just think caution is in play. That won’t get scared when I share my soul and can expect the same from me. If I have to hide anything, I need to find better friends. Life is too short (and humid) to wear a mask.

#Trust30 is an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Find out more at http://ralphwaldoemerson.me

3 comments:

Laura Jean's Pies said...

I need to not read yours before I write mine.

Jay said...

Lead, don't follow...

: )

mycotn said...

Thanks, Jay. Glad to have a friend who won't get scared when I share my soul and can expect the same from me.