6/11/2011

Trust 30: Entry Twelve

Fear by Lachlan Cotter
These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter into the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of every one of its members. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is fear holding you back from living your fullest life and being truly self expressed? Put yourself in the shoes of the you who’s already lived your dream and write out the answers to the following:

Is the insecurity you’re defending worth the dream you’ll never realize? or the love you’ll never venture? or the joy you’ll never feel?

Will the blunder matter in 10 years? Or 10 weeks? Or 10 days? Or 10 minutes?
Can you be happy being anything less than who you really are?
Now Do. The Thing. You Fear.
(Author: Lachlan Cotter)

Fear has never held me back.

Having said that, I have been scared, many times, but I have pushed through the fear to at least try. Now, other things have held me back. They always will, regardless of all the cheerleading and self-help books that try to convince you that “all you need to do is believe in yourself” and the world will be yours to conquer. Nothing is that simple. My philosophy has always been “step through every open door” but opportunities don’t always work out like I expect or dream. But I do not look back on any chance missed or completed with regret because every chapter of my story has made me who I am. And, thankfully, I am a book still being written. 

I am most pleased by the sequels to my story, my children. I made a conscious decision when they were young that my new “career goal” was to raise three children and send them out into the world with a strong sense of self, ready to succeed. It was a lot of work and sacrifice but there is not another path I could have taken that would have been more wise. They are all adults now, making their own way and they are dreams realized, ventures of love and joy. They have allowed me to live the last 25 years full and with zero remorse. And yet, I am still relatively young. What’s next? I have no idea but I am ready to find out, ready to blunder, without fear.

#Trust30 is an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Find out more at http://ralphwaldoemerson.me

No comments: