6/23/2008

Ruminations from The Road

These entries will be snippets and observations from the road trip I took with my brother last week. We covered 1600 miles, five states and every subject under the sun. I'll post these as long as I can remember them. Enjoy...

Entry Two
The aisle between the seats on an airplane are extremely narrow. They must have a “width of buttocks” maximum for the flight attendants. A person can only be so wide before they are a hazard to the aisle sitters. I know they don’t have that requirement for the people buying the tickets. When our plane landed in Birmingham, Alabama I had no need to get up from my aisle seat since I was staying on the plane as it continued to Phoenix. As soon as the “ding” sounded to release the departing passengers, my personal space was severely violated by a large man who promptly jumped into the aisle and then let people pass him until he could reach his suitcase stored in an overhead bin. As people worked their way around him he began leaning back toward me, poor defenseless aisle sitter, his massive, denim covered derrière filling over half my already cramped space. His actions caused me to have to lean toward hairy-armed man which created an immediate involuntary reaction of my arm reaching up across my body, resting my left hand on my right shoulder. With the crook of my arm near my face, I had a ready made nose shield in case the large man broke wind. I was only mildly frightened and it was all over in a few minutes. I began looking forward to the wide open spaces of the Midwest.

1 comment:

Laura Jean said...

oh pops.. you make me laugh.