6/25/2008

Ruminations from The Road

These entries will be snippets and observations from the road trip I took with my brother last week. We covered 1600 miles, five states and every subject under the sun. I'll post these as long as I can remember them. Enjoy...

Entry Three
As we approached Phoenix by air, the pilot made the announcement that the current temperature at our destination was 110 degrees. It was actually 114 degrees but, honestly, I doubt the measly four ticks on the thermometer made that much difference. As I departed the plane and started the short walk through the tube that leads to the Phoenix terminal I felt like I was in a convection oven and I was deeply concerned that my internal organs were being baked (or convected or... whatever). And all those folks who throw out “but it’s a dry heat” need to come experience it before they rattle off inane comments they picked up on the internet. Getting hit by the 114 degree wind as you cross the street is the equivalent of the first step into a dry steam room. Your breathing gets shallow and it feels like you got a high-voltage blast from a tanning booth. And then you realize that the asphalt you are walking on is sticky because it is in a constant state of melting. And this is the fifth largest city in the United States? Whose idea was it to build a big city in the desert? And why are all these people still here? These were questions that leaked from my mind, never to return, as we started heading north...

No comments: