7/21/2008

It once was lost…

I was digging through some old boxes of stuff this past weekend, trying to purge some things and take advantage of the job change to reorganize my… well, my stuff. One of the boxes contained a surprise, an assumed long lost folder that contained five ragged sheets of paper I thought I would never see again. Ladies and gentlemen, I found the original drawings of Mr. Goiter.

Mr. Goiter was a character that bubbled out of my brain in 1984 while I was unemployed and interviewing with advertising agencies in Atlanta. It was only five panels but it was inspired. At least I thought so at the time. Over the years I misplaced the drawings and have never quit hoping that I would find them tucked away in some obscure place. And that is exactly what happened. I won’t go so far as to say that it’s a good thing I don’t ever throw anything away but I will say that it is a good thing that I found the obscure place before my wife. She tends to toss first, ask later. Mr. Goiter (and his pet fish Struma), lives!

For a special treat (I realize that is subjective but I will assume specialness until informed otherwise), I am going to present the drawings to you one at a time over the next few days. They are presented as they were drawn, neither edited nor cleaned up, quickly drawn in my sketchbook, sitting in the lobby of an ad agency long ago shut down and forgotten. All added comments are by the author.

The only thing I regret is not making the establishment a “Bar & Gill.” Hard to believe that was drawn 24 years ago…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lance it! Lance it!